Tuesday, February 3, 2015

An Interview with Doll Collector Maureen Herrod

Here is this month's interview.  Enjoy!

When did you start collecting?
I kept my four hard plastic dolls from my childhood, so it could be said that I've always been a collector.  However, I became serious about the hobby when I moved across the street from a lady that collected antique German bisque.  When I would go over for coffee, I never looked at her, just at the dolls, so she encouraged me to start acquiring dolls.  She and I are still wonderful friends, although I don't live across the street from her anymore.  I would say the first year of active buying was 1979.

E.J. Maureen Herrod


Tete Jumeau, Maureen Herrod

 

Have your tastes changed over the years?
My tastes have changed over the years.  I started buying almost anything that resembled a doll, including quite a few German bisque.  As time has gone by, I find that the biggest difference between then and now is that what I buy now is much more expensive!


French-type Papier Mache, Maureen Herrod

What are your favorite types of dolls?

The two types of dolls that I am certified to judge at UFDC are papier mache and Parian. They would be one of my main loves.  But, I also love china heads and French and German bisque.  With German bisque, I am most attracted to Kestners.  I do not buy vintage dolls anymore, reserving my money for the "really good stuff." I also happen to love big dolls.


Closed Mouth Kestner, Maureen Herrod

What are the characteristics that attract you to a certain doll?

What the doll is wearing will attract me, but more important, especially with paper mache, Parian, and china heads, would be the rarity of the doll.  I've studied dolls enough now, that I can tell if a doll is rare or not.

Sophia Smith China, Maureen Herrod




Do you sew for your dolls?
I used to sew for my dolls, but I don't think I have ever enjoyed it.  So, now, I rarely make them clothing.  I have been known to buy handmade clothes from other people, and love finding antique outfits that fit my dolls.  I'll buy a lovely antique outfit in a heartbeat, often even if I do not have a doll that can wear the clothes.  Eventually, the outfits find their way to just the right doll. Original clothing is of course to be preferred.
Papier Mache, Maureen Herrod

Are you looking for anything in particular?

I'm always on the lookout for rare paper mache, Parians, and china heads.  Also want a big Bru Jne (who doesn't?)  I just bought a lovely E.J. at Theriault’s a few weeks ago.  I cannot resist those gorgeous French bisque even though they are not as rare as the others that I like.

Chinas and an S&H Parian





Munich Art Doll, Maureen Herrod






No comments:

Post a Comment