Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Visiting Gigi's Dolls and Sherry's Teddy Bears, Doll Repair, Doll Friendships, Doll Colllections, and More!


On September 26th, I boarded the Illinois Zephyr and took a train ride to The Windy City herself, Chicago.  I have to say that I love Chicago, and it is still one of my all time favorite cities, even those I have been privileged to visit overseas.  The train trip alone would have been enough of a thrill for me; I always feel like I’m living “Murder on the Orient Express” when I ride one.  I definitely think there is an advantage to being “the girl on the train!”

 

The destination, however, made it even more of a good time. I, and my friends in the West Central Illinois Doll Club, was headed to the legendary Gigi’s Dolls and Sherry’s Teddy Bears, doll store, doll museum, toy store, and doll hospital all in one location. This is the third year we have taken the trip, and it won’t be our last!

 
French Papier Mache purchased at Gigi's on an Earlier Trip


The gracious mother/daughter team of Gigi and Sherry open their shop on Monday just for us.  Waiting for us are home-made cookies, goodie bags, and a free doll or doll artifact that needs a good home.  One highlight was a seminar on restringing dolls.

 

Doll repair is another specialty of the house, and Gigi’s and Sherry’s ship all over the world.  One entire room consists of doll clothes form every era in every price range.  Another section consists of international costume dolls.  There is an entire library of books on dolls and related subjects and yet another area filled with doll houses and miniatures.

 

Gigi’s and Sherry’s feature Steiff and magnificent antique dolls.  Their own unusual collection is on permanent display.  Those who love artist dolls won’t be disappointed, and vintage doll collecting interests are well represented, too.
Eclectic Display of Dolls, including Lestat of
Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire, Top Right
Vintage International Dolls on Display at
Gigi's Dolls and Sherry's Teddy Bears

Lovely Thank you Sent to the Club from Gigi and Sherry





No comments:

Post a Comment